October 2009 Meeting Minutes

DADE RADIO CLUB OCTOBER 12, 2009 MINUTES OF MEETING
PRESIDENT: ERNESTO DIAZ (KG4LXH) (NOT PRESENT)
VICE PRESIDENT: ROBERT CRUZ (KE4MCL)
CORPORATE SECRETARY: JOANNE CARBANA (KG4GKU)
TREASURER: ESTHER SANCHEZ (KI40TX)
CORRESPONDING SECRETARY: VIRGIL SALISBURY (K4VSC) (NOT PRESENT)

BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
SAM HARTE (KQ4MR) (NOT PRESENT)
CARL JAGIELSKI (KA4HLO)
ANDY PICHS (N3PI)
CAESAR CARBANA (KG4BZA)
RAY VAUGHAN (KD4BBM) (NOT PRESENT)

WEB SITE: http:/www.daderadioclub.org

Meeting was called to order at 19:41 with 12 present.

Ernesto was not here tonight as he is at the football game. Robert presided over the meeting and welcomed everyone. The meeting was not broadcast live on the air tonight from the EOC as Ray is not present. No testing tonight.

The microphone was passed around the room and everyone took turns and stated their name and call sign. Robert welcomed everyone again. We have a quorum. Attendance is probably down because of the football game tonight and that it is the Columbus Day holiday.

The minutes were not posted on the website

Old Business:

Repeaters: No reports were given as no one was present. Andy said that they seem to be working. He said that Channel 6 tower is charging other vendors big money. If we need to work on our antenna, or it goes down, that will be it. Tom said that FIU tried it with him and they were charging too much. Other places are charging too much also. The 220 needs a trustee. Robert has it at his home. It will be brought up at the next meeting. The UM folks are not too nice. The unit crystallized and it needs to be fixed. Because of the problem with access to the building, he needs someone to take over the machine. UM shut the building down.

Robert asked for a list of club owned electronics to insure. Carl will get him an inventory from the radio room and Andy will get a list of all repeaters. When Robert gets the list together, he will then contact the insurance company for a quote. The insurance lapsed last week.

Melbourne Hamfest had a smaller showing than in the past. Saturday – it was done by 2PM and on Sunday it was dead. John’s truck was damaged. It was not his fault.

Our Hamfest turned out dismal. Both vendors and attendees. Robert is resigning from the Hamfest. Other clubs in North Florida and Tampa are having problems too. Carl thanked Esther for the pizza. Our loss is approximately $2,000.00. The Shriners cut $500.00 off the bill. Esther made $130.00 selling pizza that covered most of the donation to CAP. If anyone wants to pickup the Hamfest and run with it, Robert will keep no secrets and will disclose everything. Robert is looking into doing a flea market thing on his own. Tom Morris showed interest as the Hamfest chairman. It was discussed that we need to open it up to electronics and other interest. The Hamfest needs to represent a wide range of interests. Market Pro – a computer show – is gone. West Palm Beach is coming back with a Hamfest the 2nd weekend in March – March 20, 2010. UM will have a free flea after that. On November 23 there will be a Hamfest In the Woods in Okeechobee. Others are coming up in Tampa and Orlando soon. It was also discussed that Ray put Robert’s letter on the Octoberfest website. Dave expressed that it should be taken off. It will be passed on to Ray.

Robert asked about any other old business and there was none.

New Business:

There will be a free flea in January at the Museum of Science.

Holiday Party was discussed. If we want to do it at a park, we need to decide soon.

Carl made a suggestion that we used to auction stuff every meeting in the past and maybe we should start doing that again. It was also discussed to have interesting guest speakers. All of this information needs to get to Ernesto. It was suggested by Esther that we have a x-mas auction party of equipment no longer needed in the radio room. Dave said that we could post the items a head of time.

Hollis spoke about the WX4NHC ad on the radio.

Since we do not have a guest speaker, Andy did a show and tell with a radio demonstration of various radios made by Motorola.

Robert asked if there was any other business. With no other business, Robert thanked everyone for coming. A Motion to close the meeting was made by Dave, seconded by Andy. Voted and passed.

The DRC meeting was adjourned at 20:25.

Joanne Carbana
KG4GKU