August 2012 Meeting Minutes

PRESIDENT: MIGUEL GARATE (KJ4YVN)

VICE PRESIDENT: MERRITT BURRUS (KI4GQO)

CORPORATE SECRETARY: JOANNE CARBANA (KG4GKU)

TREASURER: ESTHER SANCHEZ (KI40TX)

CORRESPONDING SECRETARY: NONE

 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS:

 

DAVID THOMPSON (WB4DT)

CARL JAGIELSKI (KA4HLO)

RAY VAUGHAN (KD4BBM)

VIRGIL SALISBURY (K4VSC)

SAM HARTE (KQ4MR) (NOT PRESENT)

 

WEB SITE: http:/www.daderadioclub.org

 

Meeting was called to order at 19:36 with 34 present. We have a quorum.

 

Miguel presided over the meeting and welcomed everyone. The meeting was not broadcast live on the air tonight from the EOC. Testing is being done in the other room. Everyone took turns and stated their name and call sign. Miguel welcomed everyone again. Miguel reminded everyone present tonight to sign in.

 

The minutes from last month’s meeting were submitted and posted online. A motion was made by Dave, seconded by Frank, the minutes are approved as posted.

 

Corresponding Secretary – We do not have one.

 

Treasurer’s Report – Esther will give the treasurer’s report a little later. We have approximately 56 paid members. Esther will confirm that later. Miguel gave mail, membership money and membership cards to Esther. If you have not paid your membership dues, please do so.

 

 

Club Elmer/PIO Officer is Frank. He spoke with ARRL and we need to fill out a form for a Special Event Station for the Hamfest. We also need QSL cards. It was suggested that the QSL cards have the flyer on one side and the QSL on the other. The New Times will list us in the community section for Ham classes and the Hamfest. Badges for club members are on sale for $10.00 each. Please see Frank. He needs a few more to put in the order

 

Website/Newsletter – Ryan advised that everything, including Saturday’s minutes are all posted. The weather balloon in space video by Jonathan KK4KGI is also posted on the website.

 

Repeater reports:

 

147.000 – Is up but not working correctly. It is on a temporary bases somewhere else and will be working before Hamfest.

 

147.760 – is up and running.

 

224.200 – not working.

 

The 6 meters at UM is on hold.

 

444.200 – working well.

 

D’Star – Dave believes he has a solution as to where to put it. The condo is reviewing the matter. So far, 2 of the 7 concur. The property manager has no problem. There is already a Ham repeater there, but he is not going to bring it up and jeopardize the other people. He will follow-up. There will be 3 systems when it gets up and running. Miguel spoke to Nilo for the pairs and they are getting approved.

 

Digipeater 144.39 is on the Channel 6 tower and working.

 

Carl gave his emergency report. He announced that things are moving along. He sent out a list of all working repeaters to put in your book and it is posted on the website. Miguel made copies if anyone wants one tonight. We need amateur radio operators for each city. Divisional EOC’s have 2 people. We need 1 person for each city. We will man everything as a priority until we need it. We need more net controllers for the nets. Miguel is the official Ares/Races Officer.

 

Calendar:

 

For the picnic in October, we need a coordinator. We have the space for free. It’s at the Castillow Hammock Preserve and Nature Center located at 22301 SW 162 Avenue in Miami. We have a pavilion and electricity. The chairman we had is unavailable.

 

Classes – Future dates TBA by Armando.

 

Melborne Hamfest is October 13 and 14

 

David gave a video presentation on Cystic Fibrosis and Bonnie’s granddaughter Delaney, who just turned 2 this past weekend, and has been diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis. He said that it is harder and harder to get volunteers, but we are what keeps these types of organizations going. We are one of their largest sponsors. The Cystic Fibrosis Kayak race is September 29th. He will send out the details to South Florida Hams. It’s from 8AM – 12 Noon. Paddle Challenge will paddle from Matteson Hammock to Rickenbacker and back. Please volunteer. It’s important and it’s appreciated.

 

The X-mas dinner will be taken over by Miguel. Last year we had it at Carinos. It was discussed that it was a good place. He will make the reservations. It will be the same night as our meeting.

 

Hamfest was discussed. February 1 and 2, 2013. Tom has spoken to vendors and people that are going to attend. He needs volunteers. The Hamfest committee will meet the 1st Tuesday of each month at 7:30 PM here at the EOC until January. Then they will meet weekly until Hamfest. Committees so far:

Chairman – Tom Morris

Secretary – need someone

Security – Kent

Commercial – Miguel

Swap Tables – Miguel, Tom and Robert

Ticket Sales/ Ticket Booths – need someone

Testing – Mike and Dave – 2 sessions on Saturday

Forum – need someone to contact people to hold forums

Prize booth – Virgil

Hospitality – Hollis

Website – Ryan

Talk in Station – need someone for Friday and Saturday

Special Event Station – Frank – he needs some more help. He is also officially an ARRL PIO and is working on getting the word out.

Kid’s Corner – Annie Morris

QSL Cards – FLDX Association

Advertising and Art – Armando

Tailgating – Robert

Medical – Steve

Communications – Carl

 

We need a secretary, Talk in Station, Special Events, Forums. Let Tom know if you can help.

 

Dave came in from testing and announced that we have a new Ham – Alain Arocha is a new Tech. Richard Blom passed his General and is going for his X-tra. Congratulations!!! Every month the club has testing at 7:15 PM here at the EOC.

 

Esther gave the treasurer’s report. We have 58 paid members as of tonight. .

 

Miguel has the club shirts if anyone wants to buy one. They are $20.00 each. We have white and some blue. See Miguel.

 

Miguel asked if there was any other old business. There was none.

 

New Business:

 

Miguel announced that our club is going to talk to Geoff Haines N1GY tonight via Skype during the meeting. Mr. Haines gave a great presentation on Home Brewing Your Own Radio. He showed us how you can build practically anything that connects to a radio from what you have around the house for less than you would pay at a store. Information is also available on his website: N1GY.com. You can also do a Google search. He should be in QST in November.

 

Ray spoke about the Ft. Pierce Hamfest this past weekend. There was a good turnout and it looks very promising for us.

 

Miguel asked if there was any other new business. There was none.

 

Miguel thanked everyone for coming. A Motion to close the meeting was made by Frank, seconded by Lenny. Voted and passed.

 

The DRC meeting was adjourned at 20:48.

 

Joanne Carbana

KG4GKU