May 2008 Meeting Minutes

DADE RADIO CLUB MAY 12, 2008 MINUTES OF MEETING

PRESIDENT: JOHN VECCHIO (KF4ACN) (NOT PRESENT)
VICE PRESIDENT: ROBERT CRUZ (KE4MCL)
CORPORATE SECRETARY: JOANNE CARBANA (KG4GKU)
TREASURER: ESTHER SANCHEZ (KI40TX)
CORRESPONDING SECRETARY: VIRGIL SALISBURY (K4VSC)

BOARD OF DIRECTORS:

SAME HARTE (KQ4MR)
CARL JAGIELSKI (KA4HLO)
ANDY PICHS (N3PI)
CAESAR CARBANA (KG4BZA)
RAY VAUGHAN (KD4BBM)

WEB SITE: http:/www.daderadioclub.org

Meeting was called to order at 19:57 with 28 present.

John was not present tonight and Robert presided over the meeting. Robert welcomed everyone to the meeting. The meeting was broadcast live on the air tonight from the EOC. The microphone was passed around. Testing was being conducted in the other room.

The microphone was then passed around the room and everyone stated their name and call sign. A slide show of photographs of the MS 150 Break-Away were being shown during the meeting. They were taken by Jeff and Robert.

Robert welcomed everyone again. We do not have a guest speaker tonight.

Old Business:

Ernesto then spoke about the MS Break-Away. As of the Saturday of the event, they took in $1.925 Million. It looks like they will be breaking their goal of $2 Million. There were 2500 riders on the course (2715 had signed up). There were some minor problems, but they were handled. Some meals were late, tee shirts problems, etc. The problems will be taken care of by next year. The event may not be taking place at John Pennekamp because there is not enough room. Annie Morris suggested that announcements be made prior to the race to let motorist know to give the bicyclists room. Ernesto advised that all riders are informed that they must follow and obey the rules of the road. All stop signs, street lights, etc. Several issues were discussed by the members. It was explained that it is not feasible to have a police officer at every intersection. It was suggested by Ray Vaughn that maybe riders that are not obeying the rules can be taken out of the race at the next rest stop. Ernesto explained that this would be a logistics nightmare. The hammerheads were at John Pennekamp within 2 hours. Riders come from all over the country and from other countries. There has to be a limit on the number of riders. We had approximately 35 SAG’s (support & gear) over the 75 miles of the course. Riders are released in groups and staggered. Hollis wanted to know what percentage of the funds come from Miami-Dade County. Ernesto explained that the county sets aside a certain number of dollars for non-profits. The MS people go before them and tell them they need a certain amount of hours paid for police and fire personnel. This year we received approximately $20,000.00 from Miami-Dade County. Everything else was paid by MS. We received donations from Publix of fruits and water. UPS lets us use their warehouse and Fedex lets us use their trucks and drivers. Robert asked if there was an email address that any suggestions could be sent and Ernesto said to send any questions, comments or suggestions to KG4LXH.com or go to the MS website. Merritt asked what amount was donated “in kind” where we bill for our hours at no charge. Ernesto will advise at the next meeting. He said that he will calculate the hours according to the ARRL rules – $8.00 per hour x the number of volunteer hours and equipment rental charges. Two years ago it was over $40,000.00. He also thanked Coral Gables fro allowing the use of their facilities for the net control. Robert said that everyone had a great time. Ernesto again thanked everyone that participated.

Robert asked about any other old business and there was none.

New Business:

The minutes for the April meeting were posted on the web. A motion was made by Sam to accept the April minutes, seconded by Philippe.

Repeater update:

Robert announced that John was tied up with work at FPL.

Ray spoke about the 146.760. It’s working. We are using it tonight. Any problems or issues, let him know.

Merritt spoke about the 147.000. It’s working. He was on Highway 41 about 85 miles – line of sight and had no problem hitting the repeater.

Carl was not here tonight regarding the 444.200. It works and has good range.

Robert spoke about the 220.000. Not working. Same problem with access. Ray said that he was on the list. Robert will get together with Ray to obtain access to the repeater.

Sam spoke about the CHAMP Award. It has been given to a lot of our members in the past. The award has been expanded to credit those that volunteer in the community. The award is now called the Joe Chwick AC4TV Award. The award is presented annually at the Citizens’ Crime Watch Dinner. The award has been dormant. He wants to continue with the award. It can be given out by the Club at one of our meetings. The nominating committee in the past has been Carl, Joe Chwick, the prior year’s recipient and Sam and they selected someone who had done something outstanding during the past year or past years combined. Plaque was presented on behalf of the Champ organization and it can be taken over by the Dade Radio Club. The Board of Directors can take over the responsibility of the nominating committee. Ray stated that crime is going back up and we should get back into it. Champ stands for Citizen Ham Mobile and Marine Patrol and started some 10-12 years ago. Now with cell phones, using a Ham radio with an auto patch is not going to be receptive. The matter was opened up for discussion. Ray suggested that we have a crime watch meeting/training here at the EOC one meeting night. Sam advised to contact Carmen Caldwell. Ray filled out a form on line and emailed it in. Let’s see what happens. It was discussed that we can get the training and it can’t hurt. It was asked how many were interested by a show of hands, and everyone was interested. Motion was made by Chris and seconded by Eddie for the Dade Radio Club to take over the award and to keep the Joe Chwick AC4TV Award going.

Next, Robert discussed our Hamboree in October. He looked into different places to hold the Hamboree since some members did not believe that we got a good deal. He brought in a brochure from Expo and discussed the proposal for just one day. It was way more expensive than what we are getting with the Shriners. The Expo would charge $11,500.00 for one day, no tables or chairs, no ticket booth, $75 for an electrician, $25 for a plumber, $18 for parking. The Schriners package is amazing compared to Expo. Thank you to Virgil for the connection. He has the brochure if anyone is interested.

Mark came into the room. He passed his Extra License – congratulations!

Robert received two emails from John, who could not be here tonight. Merritt read it to those present and listening on the air. If anyone has any ideas, to let him know. You can read his emails on the web.

Robert announced that with regard to the EOC as discussed last month, John and Robert are going to meet with Jonathan Lord and will get back with us at the next meeting.

Hollis went back to the MS 150 Bike-A-Thon. He wanted to know if we had insurance to cover the event could we get any money back. The club insurance was discussed. A motion was made by Chris, seconded by Virgil, that at the Dade Radio Club members be covered by the club liability insurance when participating in all activities and events sanctioned by the Dade Radio Club, including but not limited to the Hamboree-Hamtoberfest; March of Dimes; Field Day; MS 150 Bike-A-Thon, Boy Scouts Merit Badge College and other Boy Scout of America Events, Junior Orange Bowl, Miami Marathon, Cystic Fibrosis, Kayak Race, any meeting or event held at the Miami Dade Fire Department Headquarters Building, CHAMP, ARPSC meetings and activities, any activities with the repeaters at UM, Channel 6 tower, FPL tower; Holiday Party, Skywarn meetings and training, Girl Scouts of America; working on club owned and/or maintained equipment; any and all participation in any sanctioned events by the Club and any and all amateur radio operators on location for activations. A vote was taken and the motion passed unanimously.

Steve spoke about the trailer is owned by Lee. Money is needed. It needs a new roof. Steve has not received any phone calls from the person that volunteered. Merritt suggested that sheets of aluminum be used to fix the roof. They are also waiting on a cost analysis from Kendall Trailer and Simmons. Robert will call Jeff tonight and if not, Chris said he would do it. We need the trailer for field day. Ray advised that all of the equipment is out of the trailer that maybe we should get another one. It was discussed that a new trailer will cost approximately $5,000-$7,000 and Lee donated $500.00 to fix this one. Margarita volunteered to head a committee and have the info for the next meeting. The committee will consist of Margarita, Chris, Steve and Merit. They will find out how much it will cost to fix the trailer professionally or to do it ourselves.

Field Day was discussed. Philippe will call Nilo Hernandez with the American Radio Club and get back with us. Anyone interested in participating in the club sanctioned Field Day, see Philippe. Other suggestions were also discussed. Ray advised that she should try to stay local because gas is expensive. Perry & Larry Thompson Park was discussed on 184th Street by Robert Morgan. Robert said that he picked up photos from Evelyn from 1947. They had a Field Day in Greynolds Park. Maybe we can have Field Day at Greynolds Park 61 years later. He will scan the photos and post them on the web site. Other places were discussed. We are going to see what happens with the American Radio Club. It will take place June 28 and 29th this year. Margarita made a motion for the club to participate in a Field Day this year on June 28 and 29th, seconded by Steve, passed. We will be updated at the next meeting on June 9th.

Ray stated that he needs info for the website.

Steve said that the vendors need information such as a date, etc. regarding our Hamboree. Robert said that he needs help with photo shop. Anyone knows how to use it, please contact Robert.

Ray had a 50 foot coax w/connectors that he bought from Radio Shack for the members to bid on it for a donation to the club funds. Virgil bid $3.00 and he was the highest bidder.

Ray also donated 5 FM radio kits to the Boy Scouts to be used by them to obtain their Radio Merit Badge. Sam thanked Ray for the 5 radio kits.

With no other business, Robert thanked everyone for coming. A Motion to close the meeting was made by Steve, seconded by Caesar.

The DRC meeting was adjourned at 21:36.

Joanne Carbana
KG4GKU