DADE RADIO CLUB JUNE 9, 2008 MINUTES OF MEETING

PRESIDENT: JOHN VECCHIO (KF4ACN) (NOT PRESENT)
VICE PRESIDENT: ROBERT CRUZ (KE4MCL)
CORPORATE SECRETARY: JOANNE CARBANA (KG4GKU)
TREASURER: ESTHER SANCHEZ (KI40TX)
CORRESPONDING SECRETARY: VIRGIL SALISBURY (K4VSC)

BOARD OF DIRECTORS:

SAME HARTE (KQ4MR) (NOT PRESENT)
CARL JAGIELSKI (KA4HLO) (NOT PRESENT)
ANDY PICHS (N3PI)
CAESAR CARBANA (KG4BZA)
RAY VAUGHAN (KD4BBM)

WEB SITE: http:/www.daderadioclub.org

Meeting was called to order at 19:43 with 29 present.

John was not present tonight and Robert presided over the meeting. Robert welcomed everyone to the meeting. The meeting was broadcast live on the air tonight from the EOC. Testing was being conducted in the other room.

The microphone was then passed around the room and everyone stated their name and call sign.

Robert welcomed everyone again. We do not have a guest speaker tonight, but Ray has a presentation of various pieces of equipment that he started passing around for everyone to take a look at and he will explain later.

The minutes for the May meeting were posted on the web. A motion was made by Randy to accept the May minutes, seconded by Arturo.

Old Business:

Field Day was discussed. Robert called Greynolds Park and they were not too receptive. Maybe we can have a BBQ there one weekend. He stated that the first field day took place 61 years ago at Greynolds Park so it would be nice to do something there. Philippe will try to find something out and post it on the website. We need to go somewhere. The American Radio Club wants to go with us. It will take place June 28 and 29th this year.

Robert then spoke about the Radio Room at the EOC. Robert met with Jonathan Lord. The club will still have access to the room with the RARES program. Dade Radio Club members need permission to access the room. We need to get a MOU with Miami Dade County. Robert read a letter that was left for John at the front desk. We need to formalize the RARES program and need to appoint 2 members to a steering committee per Jonathan Lord. Each member will need to earn an ID through training and keep up to date to get a County badge.

Joanne spoke about the 2008 Storm Prep Expo that took place at the Miami Beach Convention Center on May 31. Joanne, Caesar and other CERT members gave a demonstration. Lorenzo Sanchez, in charge of the CERT program, spoke to the members about the CERT program. All classes are now at Miami Dade North and South campuses. September, October and November are the new classes. Go to Miami-Dade.gov website and check on CERT for more information.

Robert then spoke about the HAM trailer. He brought in a current bill to replace the skin on the roof (a copy is attached to the minutes). They are $254.57 short. Joanne made a motion to use the funds received from the SFFMA to pay for the repairs, no more than $300.00, seconded by Caesar. The motion was voted upon and passed unanimously.

Pablo Penton came into the meeting. He passed his Tech License. Congratulations Pablo!

It was then discussed to organize a work party to take the stuff off the roof of the trailer. If we don’t do it this weekend, we could do it during Field Day. IT was determined that it should take about 4-6 hours to finish.

Robert asked about any other old business and there was none.

New Business:

Philippe spoke about the ARPSC meeting. There is going to be an emergency operation exercise TBA that will cover the whole County. This is important since we are in hurricane season. Frequencies will be coordinated for North Dade, Central Dade, South Dade and Northern Monroe. You can contact Philippe at K4FLC@ARRL.net for any further information.

Philippe also advised that ARRL is going to be setting up some tables with radios this Saturday and Sunday at Bass Pro Shop at Dolphin Mall during store hours. They need volunteers to sit at the tables.

Philippe thanked the City of Hialeah for allowing the City of Coral Gables to use their table at the 2008 Hurricane Expo.

Philippe also advised that ARRL is putting together a statewide plan and one for the southeastern US. A staging area will also be set up in an emergency. The Salvation Army is also interested in setting up repeaters in Dade, Broward, Monroe and Collier Counties. He will keep us advised.

Alfonso asked who is now handling the Wednesday night net. ARPSC has already posted the information. They presently have 4 people and will rotate them. Everyone will be volunteered to do it. Everyone was invited to show up at the ARPSC meeting on Saturday mornings.

It was announced that Skywarn training sessions take place on the 3rd Saturday of the month, June 21, at the Coral Gables Police Department – in the basement. Bring a photo ID if interested.

Ray asked about the website for DRC. After a discussion, Frank will now handle the DRC website.

Tom advised that the ARRL website does not list exam sessions or the Hamboree as an event. Robert explained that Evelyn used to take care of it. She has recently moved from Miami. Robert will get in touch with them once we get everything set with the Hamboree.

Repeater update:

Ray spoke about the 146.760. It’s working fine. We are using it right now.

Merritt spoke about the 147.000. It works. A station from Naples was on it and not having any problems. We have 8 months to do something or get off the tower when everything goes off analog.

Carl was not here tonight regarding the 444.200. Merritt said he set the correct time and It’s working fine and has good range.

Robert spoke about the 220.000. Status the same. Not working. Same problem with access.

It was discussed that someone from the American Radio Club said that someone is putting up a 220 repeater at someone’s house.

Next, Robert discussed our Hamboree in October. He has a hugh to-do list and needs help. He can’t do it all himself. He needs someone to do Photoshop to create flyers and banners for the webpage. Tom volunteered. Joanne volunteered to make some calls for Robert. He will provide her with a list to get quotes on advertising. He said that we want to charge about $5 – $6 entrance fee, but will not know until we get things in order.

Ray advised that the webserver needs a credit card on file. Robert said that he will take care of it Saturday.

Robert has a map of the building with all the measurements. He needs someone that can do autocat – to lay out the tables. Merritt volunteered. Once this is done, we can calculate how much to charge for the tables and spots and then post it on the website.

Carlos Guerro came into the meeting. He also passed his Tech License test tonight. Congratulations Carlos!

Ray did a demo of the various pieces of equipment that he brought tonight that were passed around earlier.

Virgil spoke about a problem with the repeater that the ID comes in over your transmission. Ray said on the 146.760 it holds off until the end of the transmission unless your transmission is very long. The repeater has to ID every 10 minutes and it is set at 9 minutes.

Hollis asked if anyone had seen the article on Geiger counters from the 50’s and 60’s in the AST magazine. Ray said that they still use them today at the Fire Department.

With no other business, Robert thanked everyone for coming. A Motion to close the meeting was made by Philippe, seconded by Steve.

The DRC meeting was adjourned at 21:05.

Joanne Carbana
KG4GKU