February 2008 Meeting Minutes

DADE RADIO CLUB FEBRUARY 11, 2008 MINUTES OF MEETING

PRESIDENT: JEFF GARNETT (KGRCNM) (NOT PRESENT)

VICE PRESIDENT: ROBERT CRUZ (KE4MCL)

SECRETARY: CHRIS JENSEN (KG4SYV)

ASST SECRETARY: JOANNE CARBANA (KG4GKU)

TREASURER: ESTHER SANCHEZ (KI40TX)

WEB SITE: http:/www.daderadioclub.org

Meeting was called to order at 19:50 with 22 present.

Jeff was not present tonight due to an illness and Robert presided over the meeting. Robert welcomed everyone to the meeting. The meeting was broadcast live on the air tonight from the EOC via radio only, not video casting.

The minutes for the January meeting were not posted on the web. They will be posted and voted on at the next meeting.

Old Business: (was put on hold until Chris came back into the room)

New Business:

The Orlando Hamfest was discussed. It opened Thursday to set-up; opened to the public on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. However, around 2 PM on Saturday, everyone disappeared. Sunday was a waste. Robert and several others from the club passed out flyers for our Hamfest in October 2008. A lot of people were glad that we are having the show and that it is still going on. The most popular question was if the tailgating was going to get bigger. A lot of people support the tailgate vendors.

Ray spoke about D-Star. He said that an ICOM rep said that an amateur radio club in Japan said that amateur radio should go to D-Star not P-25 radio. There was further discussion on the subject by the members.

Old Business:

There was to be a discussion as to the dues of the Club. Since Jeff is not here, it will be tabled until the next meeting.

The Boy Scout event on March 14 and 15, 2008 is covered. We will have a meeting before that date. We will have a station set-up.

There was a discussion of the ride back from the Orlando Hamfest on US 27 and the US Sugar Ethanol plant being constructed. Robert spoke how he stopped and looked at the lake and what a big impact. The lake is really low and you don’t realize it until you actually see it.

Eddie from the Red Cross announced that Friday, February 15, from 1 – 3 PM new Red Cross ID’s were going to be made at the Red Cross facility. You need to call George and make an appointment.

Repeater update:

Merritt spoke about the 147.000. Still working. Nothing new. Waiting for photos for the antenna change.

Ray reported on the 146.760. It’s working well. We are using it now. It failed an elevator inspection but it’s fine now. No complaints.

Frank spoke about the 865. It is only open during daily business hours. He is going to contact George to schedule a time to check it out.

Robert spoke about the 220.000. It needs a home. Same problem with access.

There is no digi on the 147.000 and it needs to be done before the breakaway. Need to set up a time and a day to do it.

Robert asked if there was any further old business. There was none.