October 2008 Meeting Minutes





WEB SITE: http:/www.daderadioclub.org

Meeting was called to order at 19:53 with 19 present.

John was not present tonight and Robert presided over the meeting. Robert welcomed everyone to the meeting. The meeting was broadcast live on the air tonight from the EOC. Testing was being conducted in the other room.

The microphone was then passed around the room and everyone stated their name and call sign. Robert welcomed everyone again. We do not have a guest speaker tonight. We did not have a meeting last month.

Old Business:

Robert announced the CHAMP Award that was brought up a few months ago by Sam would be tabled until after the Hamfest.

Regarding the Ham trailer, no update. Working on it.

Robert spoke about the Melborne Hamfest and it was not too busy. At the Melborne Hamfest, they provided a table to the club for free.

Our Hamfest is about 2 weeks away. Anyone that wants to get a table, see Robert or Esther. Tickets are $7.00 each and tables are $25.00. You can also go to www.hamboree.org for any information.

Robert asked about any other old business and there was none.

New Business:

The Tampa Hamfest is December 6 and 7. Anyone interested see Robert. You can go to the hamfest one day and see Bush Gardens the other day.

Repeater update:

Ray spoke about the 146.760. Nothing new. No problems. Works good. If you have any problems, see Ray.

Carl spoke about the 444.200. It’s working fine and uses it everyday. Not too many people are using it. Come and visit.

Merritt spoke about the 147.000. He is considering abandoning the Channel 6 site. They sent us a form like a tenant and he forwarded to on to John and is waiting for him to fill out the antenna information. They want about $350.00 per month. There is no local monitoring of the site. The utility outlets and lights to the tower shorted out and they say it’s our responsibility as a tenant. There is also tall grass, etc. around the site. We have limited access. The elevator is costly to maintain. It was discussed if we should cut our losses and run. We are secondary. If someone wants our space, we are out. Alternative locations were discussed, i.e., FPL tower and downtown. The insurance issue was discussed. They want us to have $7 million in coverage; we have $1 million from ARRL. We need to check with ARRL and see if they will give us a rider for the extra $6 million in coverage at little cost to us. Channel 6 will be gone by February 2009. There is still a classical music station and another FM station there. Ray suggested that we invest in a back-up and keep the tower as a primary site. We had a signed contract and would like to be grandfathered in for $1.00 per year for 5 years as a public service. Merritt feels that they don’t care. Carl said these are the hoops you need to go through. Public service is a tax deduction for them. Ray advised that we are cleared by height by FRC to Palm Beach. Carl suggested that we keep dealing with these people. Jason said that if we don’t like the situation, just wait. The site is too tall for a cell tower and too short for FM. The people in charge at the management company come and go. They will change again. It was suggested that we leave everything the way it is for now. If they want us off the tower, they should let us get our equipment. Don’t invest a lot into it for now. We could also make a claim for the equipment under our insurance. We need to put something up before we lose the pair. Merritt needs the codes. Carl will look into his files. Merritt needs crystals for the back up. They run about $40.00 each. Steve made a motion to order the crystals for the backup 147.000, Dave seconded. A vote was taken and it passed. Ray said that we should put the FRC on notice that we are off the air due to hurricane damage. We should do whatever is the easiest to keep on the air and erect a temporary 147.000 somewhere. Hollis questioned about the insurance and how much it would cost for additional coverage. We are a tenant it might be cheaper. Robert said he would check into it. He has their number. We will stay until we are kicked out.

Robert spoke about the 220.000. Not working. Access to UM is a big problem. Jason will check with UM and get back with Robert.

Robert asked if there was any other new business.

With no other business, Robert thanked everyone for coming. A Motion to close the meeting was made by Dave, seconded by Caesar. Voted and passed.

The DRC meeting was adjourned at 20:40.

Joanne Carbana