DADE RADIO CLUB DECEMBER 4, 2008 MINUTES OF MEETING

PRESIDENT: JOHN VECCHIO (KF4ACN) (NOT PRESENT)
VICE PRESIDENT: ROBERT CRUZ (KE4MCL)
CORPORATE SECRETARY: JOANNE CARBANA (KG4GKU)
TREASURER: ESTHER SANCHEZ (KI40TX)
CORRESPONDING SECRETARY: VIRGIL SALISBURY (K4VSC)

BOARD OF DIRECTORS:

SAME HARTE (KQ4MR) (NOT PRESENT)
CARL JAGIELSKI (KA4HLO)
ANDY PICHS (N3PI)
CAESAR CARBANA (KG4BZA)
RAY VAUGHAN (KD4BBM)

WEB SITE: http:/www.daderadioclub.org

Meeting was called to order at 19:46 with 19 present.

John was not present tonight and Robert presided over the meeting. Robert welcomed everyone to the meeting. The meeting was broadcast live on the air tonight from the EOC. Testing was being conducted in the other room.

The microphone was passed around the room and everyone took turns and stated their name and call sign. Robert welcomed everyone again. We do not have a guest speaker tonight.
Repeater update:

Merritt spoke about the 147.000. No change. It works but no power. He has had what he believes positive contact with the leasing company and it is looking more positive. The old temp 147.000 is on the air. He has a contingency plan for the 147.000 for the MS 150 and some options. It’s 20 fees and needs more power. Steve volunteered his tower. It’s 40 feet.

Ray spoke about the 145.760. He is listening but no one is using it. If you go on it, make a call and give Ray a signal report.

Carl spoke about the 220.000. It’s running fine except it’s one hour off. Steve suggested to put it on UTC so that we don’t’ need to keep changing the time. Merritt said he could help and would get with Carl.

Robert spoke about the 220.000. He has been speaking with John. We may move to where we have access to it.

Old Business:

Robert spoke about the Ham trailer. It’s ready to go to the shop. Steve has been using his entire yard and garage. The bearings were wet. They have been replaced. We need to get bearing buddies. The tires are in bad shape. We will need new ones within six months. It is empty right now. It needs a new roof. We are waiting for the estimate from the shop. The trailer is 16’ by 6’. Carl will get with Steve and will have the estimate by the next meeting. A new trailer would be $3,000.00 – $4,000.00. John made a motion to limit the amount of $1,000.00 total to repair the trailer, seconded by Steve. A vote was taken and everyone agreed. The motion passed. It was discussed that we will need to find a place to store the trailer after it is repaired. Ray suggested maybe a fire station.

Robert asked about any other old business and there was none.

New Business:

Next, Robert spoke about the MS 150. The event will take place in May. We really need volunteers. Matt is the contact.

Ray announced some upcoming events:

Jan 25 is the Marathon. Ben Nemsner is the contact.

Feb 7, Saturday, the Miami-Dade Fire Department will have its Fire Expo again this year at Tropical Park with all the Fire Department toys. It was a great success last year.

Philippe advised that the Jr Orange Bowl Parade is Tuesday, December 30. Everyone is invited to come. If you work the parade, great. See Philippe if you are interested at k4flc@arrl.net.

John announced that the Orlando Hamfest is Feb 12, 13 and 14

Robert announced that he is having a free flea from 10 AM – 2 PM at the Museum of Science south parking lot on January 10th.

Philippe announced the Ft. Lauderdale Boat Parade is December 13.

Randy announced that parts of I-95 will be closed December 14 for the Motorcycle Toys for Tots ride. If you need to travel on I-95 this weekend, you may have to take another route.

Robert advised that there is still a problem at EOC and the radio room. All the equipment is there except a missing CB base station. Ray advised that we have been re-structured under “volunteers”. Robert said that we need to find out where we stand. He will get back with us.

Robert spoke that the club picnic is Saturday, Dec 27 at Tropical Park, Shelter 9, from 10 AM – 6 PM. $10.00 per person. The club will supply the sodas. BYOB – cans only. Need to pay in advance. No walk-ins. We need to pre-order the food from Shorty’s BBQ. You can pay now or send a check to the PO Box, but you need to be paid by Wednesday, December 24th. Go in the entrance by the Hess gas station on the south side. The shelter is the furthest south in the SW corner of the park. Used to be where the stables are. There is also free Wi-Fi. John wanted the club to front $100.00 for walk-ins and it was decided that we could not since the food needed to be ordered in advance. The club is fronting the money for the shelter and it comes with electricity.

Robert then announced that Joanne was elected and Counsel woman in Miami-Dade County. Joanne said a few words. Congratulations to Joanne!

Robert then announced that the club dues are due for 2009. $30.00 per member and $5.00 for each family member.

Steve brought up about finding a new meeting place. Ray said that as long as he is working here, he can reserve the space. Others also said that they could reserve the room.

Dave came into the meeting room and announced that we have 3 new Hams. Congratulations to Ramon Gonzalez, Nelson Abreo and Henric Bioardt. All passed their Technician.

Brian spoke about the DCAT Disaster Show and Tell last weekend at Tropical Park. They had to end early because of the weather. If the club is interested in a demonstration, even as early as February, just let Brian know. Robert will talk to John about it.

Merritt advised that Fire House Sub has 5 gallon buckets that are great.

Ray played the clear channel ad where they took over the new WWB.

Robert asked if there was any other new business.

With no other business, Robert thanked everyone for coming. A Motion to close the meeting was made by Carl, seconded by Philippe. Voted and passed.

The DRC meeting was adjourned at 20:37.

Joanne Carbana
KG4GKU