April 2008 Meeting Minutes

DADE RADIO CLUB APRIL 14, 2008 MINUTES OF MEETING

PRESIDENT: JEFF GARNETT (KG4CNM) (NOT PRESENT)
VICE PRESIDENT: ROBERT CRUZ (KE4MCL)
SECRETARY: CHRIS JENSEN (KG4SYV)
ASST SECRETARY: JOANNE CARBANA (KG4GKU)
TREASURER: ESTHER SANCHEZ (KI40TX)

WEB SITE: http:/www.daderadioclub.org

Meeting was called to order at 19:53 with 43 present.

Jeff was not present tonight and Robert presided over the meeting. Robert welcomed everyone to the meeting. The meeting was broadcast live on the air tonight from the EOC. The microphone was passed around. Testing was being conducted in the other room.

Robert read a letter he received from Jeff.

Robert announced that we have been asked to remove all of our radio equipment from the building. A spokesperson from the OEM was present to speak to our club. The microphone was turned over to Rick Butler, the OEM Coordinator. He said that this move has nothing to do with Jeff’s position. He and his boss the director extend their welcome to all of us and the director says hello. They appreciate all of our services. The county is undergoing changes and they need the radio room back. Tonight, Rick Butler is collecting all of the county radios. He is in charge of the new 24 hour “Watch Center”. He said that it will be totally operational by June 1 – the start of Hurricane Season. Annie Morris asked how the information from the National Weather Service would come into the new Watch Center and Rick advised that it was unknown at this time. He explained how the County has an agreement with Nextel and they are reprogramming the band width and are going to be reimbursing the County. Jason advised that the County’s budget is in crises. That now is not a good time to get rid of all of our equipment, just to buy it back again. It was discussed that the Club has made a sizeable investment in the radio room. When asked why we were being asked to leave, Rick said that he was only there to collect the County radios and say Hi. He said that our equipment would be repositioned in the Watch Center. The Watch Center is to be standardized with Ares and Races, etc. John Hall stated that the club should make the County pay to move our equipment. The radio room is being reallocated by the County. We will have a minimum of 2 radios in the Watch Center. When asked about what timeframe we have, we were told ASAP. Rick said that we need to remove our equipment and the County will purchase equipment for us – at least 2 stations and his expectations are to have the radios up and operational by June 1. Brian stated that 2 radios were not enough for what we do. Robert requested that the Club be sent a formal letter and Rick agreed to have that done. Robert stated that we will probably have to have a special club meeting to find out where we are going. We need to get an estimate of the cots to remove and re-wire everything. The County radios where then turned into Rick by the members that had them according to a list that he had.

The minutes for the February and March meetings were posted on the website. A motion to approve the minutes for February and March was made by Randy and seconded by Annie.

Old Business:

Robert announced that we are holding elections tonight for the Dade Radio Club.

Robert announced the nominations that were made for each office from last month’s meeting and asked if there were any other new nominations as follows:

For President – John Vecchio was nominated. Robert asked three times if there were any other nominations for President. There being none and the nominations for the position of President were closed. John Vecchio is automatically approved since he ran unopposed and is therefore elected to next year’s term as President.

For Vice President –Robert Cruz and Margarita Mesones were nominated. Robert asked three times if there were any other nominations for Vice President. There being none, the nominations for the position of Vice President were closed and ballots were given to paid members to vote. After the votes were counted, it was announced that Robert Cruz is elected to next year’s term as Vice President.

For Corporate Secretary –Joanne Carbana was nominated. Robert asked three times if there were any other nominations for Corporate Secretary. There being none and the nominations for the position of Corporate Secretary were closed. Joanne Carbana is automatically approved since she ran unopposed and is therefore elected to next year’s term as Corporate Secretary.

For Treasurer –Esther Sanchez was nominated. Robert asked three times if there were any other nominations for Treasurer. There being none and the nominations for the position of Treasurer were closed. Esther Sanchez is automatically approved since she ran unopposed and is therefore elected to next year’s term as Treasurer.

For Corresponding Secretary –Dave Thompson and Virgil Salisbury were nominated. Robert asked three times if there were any other nominations for Corresponding Secretary. There being none, the nominations for the position of Corresponding Secretary were closed and ballots were given to paid members to vote. After the votes were counted, it was announced that Virgil Salisbury is elected to next year’s term as Corresponding Secretary.

Robert announced that due to the circumstances discussed earlier this evening, Jeff Garnett cannot serve as a Director as the Past President and we need a total of five for the Board of Directors. Therefore, we will need at least one other nomination for the Board of Directors. The nominations for Board of Directors from last month’s meeting were:

Sam Harte
Carl Jajielski
Andy Piche
Caesar Carbana

Robert asked if there were any other nominations for Board of Directors. The following were nominated from the floor:

Ray Vaughan
Don Morris

Robert asked three times if there were any other nominations for Board of Directors. There being none, the nominations for the position of Board of Directors were closed and ballots were given to paid members to vote. After the votes were counted, it was announced that the following were elected to next year’s term as the Board of Directors:

Sam Harte
Carl Jagielski
Andy Piche
Caesar Carbana
Ray Vaughan

The new officers elected to serve for next year’s term for the Dade Radio Club are as follows:

President – John Vecchio
Vice President – Robert Cruz
Corporate Secretary – Joanne Carbana
Treasurer – Esther Sanchez
Corresponding Secretary – Virgil Salisbury

Board of Directors:
Sam Harte
Carl Jagielski
Andy Piche
Caesar Carbana
Ray Vaughan

Congratulations to all!

New Business:

Robert then spoke about the MS Break-Away. Frank advised that the Break-Away is May 3 and 4th. The route has been changed. They are leaving from UM campus. Ernesto advised that the MS brought in $1.8 million last year and our goal is higher this year. The cap is 2700 riders. The main concern is the safety of the volunteers and the riders. Since we may not be able to transmit from the EOC, Coral Gables volunteered to use their radio room. We will set up at the Coral Gables Radio Room. Having some problems with the repeaters. They are working on a schedule and maps due to the last minute changes to the route. They also need volunteers for the Break-Away. Contact Frank or Ernesto if you are interested.

Chris was walking around checking current email addresses.

Robert apologized for all the craziness tonight.

Ray brought up about the Boy Scouts and how their trailer was stolen. He said the same thing could happen to our trailer as we have something very similar. We need to look into it to see if it is insured through the Club with the ARRL. It is $1.50 per $1,000 per year. Randy said it was an excellent idea. We need to check the policy to see if it insures vehicles and/or trailers or just equipment. Sam stated that we need to confirm that the trailer is covered. He said to do it via email so that we get a response in writing. Over the phone we have not proof if they tell us it is covered and then God forbid something happens and they tell us – no sorry you are not covered. It was also suggested that we just call the trailer a “storage unit”. Randy stated that if we declare it as storage and something happens while it is in motion or at another location, we are in trouble and that would be insurance fraud. Tell the insurance agent like it is. If we need to, get ARRL to insure the equipment and someone else to insure the trailer. Robert will check it out and we will discuss it at the next meeting.

Steve stated that the trailer is owned by Lee. He has funded a lot of repairs. The trailer

Is in a crises right now. The entire roof needs to be replaced and looking for donations. Sam suggested that it might be less expensive to replace the trailer. He asked if the Dade Radio Club was a 501c 3 because there are foundations that will accept applications. Robert said that we are a non-profit according to Sunbiz. Sam said that we need to check the status with the IRS not the State of Florida.

Bryan said that Lee donated money to the ARRL memorial fund in Roger Guajardo KD4VNN’s name. Roger was the first in DECAT, ARES, RACES, he trained thousands of volunteers for only $1.00 per year. March 21, 2008 was the three year anniversary of his death and March 28 was his birthday. There is a brick in Roger’s honor at the ARRL Memorial.

Martin Falk KI4IQZ spoke next from Broward. There is a traffic net that we are welcome to call in. They are having a free flea in Broward on November 22. He will not interfere with our Hamfest.

Repeater update:

John spoke about the 147.000. He and Merritt worked on it. It’s a little better. They are working with the new owners to where the repeater is located. We may need to find a new home for the repeater. John also worked on the 442.350 and may be donating it to the Dade Radio Club.

Ray was not in the room at this time to give a report but those present reported that the 146.760 is working well. We are using it tonight.

Carl had already gone home. John spoke about the 444.200. It works and has good range.

Robert spoke about the 220.000. Not working. Same problem with access.

Robert asked if there was any further old business. There was none.

Robert did a show and tell about the new replacement for the FRS. It is 1 watt and 900 mhz, it is like a Nextel without the Nextel. You can purchase them at Walmart.com for about $90.00. Andy also spoke about it. He took 3 of them to Disney and they worked great. They use 3 AA batteries. It has the capabilities of text messaging too.

Don then announced that the Wednesday net is back on Wednesday nights.

With no other business, Robert thanked everyone for coming. A Motion to close the meeting was made by John, seconded by Chris.

The DRC meeting was adjourned at 21:35.

Joanne Carbana
KG4GKU